I have been woefully absent, didn't even get a post on for June. But in all fairness to me, I had extenuating circumstances. My Dad ended up unexpectedly in the hospital and we ended up having to transfer him near to me to receive proper care. He came through the surgery great, and he has stayed with me the last couple of weeks while healing up before going back home to Mom and the Farm. While I did not enjoy the circumstances, I really did enjoy the time with him. I'm not a Daddy's Girl for nothing, ya know!
So, summer is grilling time. It is the season for picnics and clambakes and peaches and corn roasts as well, at least around here! Yummy!
Pictured above are steamed clams on the grill. Ted Allen posted this but I think many of us have been doing this for years, an oldie but a goodie!
Littlenecks, garlic cloves, parsley, white wine, loose foil, hot covered grill, 10 minutes--EASY! I usually do 1 dozen little necks to a foil packet.
1 lb asparagus, washed
1 clove garlic
1/2 C lager beer (Yuengling Amber Lager is preferred, America's oldest Brewery, Pottsville, PA!)
Few shakes of Parm cheese
Place a small bundle of spears into a foil packet with a part of the above ingredients and grill on medium until tender. They cook fast, so watch!
And who doesn't love shish-ka-bobs! The secret to really good kabobs? Uniformity. Make sure your meat and veggie pieces are uniform on size and all skewers the same for even cooking and proper doneness.
Teriyaki Shish Kabobs (Taste of Home)
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 beef top sirloin steak (1-1/2 inches thick and 2 pounds), cut into 1-1/2-inch cubes
- 1/2 fresh pineapple, trimmed and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 2 to 3 small zucchini, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1/2 pound medium fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 pound pearl onions
- 1 large green or sweet red pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- Combine first five ingredients in a large resealable plastic bag; reserving half the marinade. Add beef. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate overnight. Cover and refrigerate reserved marinade
- Drain and discard marinade from beef. Thread the meat, pineapple and vegetables alternately on metal or soaked wooden skewers.
- Grill over hot heat for 15-20 minutes, turning often, or until meat reaches desired doneness and vegetables are tender.
- In a small saucepan, bring reserved marinade to a boil; boil for 1 minute. Remove the meat and vegetables from skewers; serve with marinade. Yield: 6-8 servings.