Thursday, July 1, 2010

Thursday Night Supper

So tonight, I looked at what I had on hand and made cheese tortellini tossed with turkey sausage and fresh zucchini cubed with a fresh parsley/basil pesto is supper. I didn't have time to make my own pasta, I used to love doing that when I had more time. It takes  a bit to get the technique, but once you do, it's  awesome. If folks want, I can post home made pasta recipes.

So I cheated with store bought premade cold tortellini. (Not frozen.)  I used the turkey sausage and zucchini for the healthy options. If I'd had the green zucchini, that would have been prettier for more diverse color for presentation. And professional food photographer I am not. Yes, that's a pic of it before we ate. I actually do make this stuff.

The pesto is a simple one:

1 1/2 cups packed fresh basil leaves
1/2 cup fresh packed parsley

2 cloves garlic
1/4 cup pine nuts
2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan or similar cheese
Directions

Combine the basil, garlic, and pine nuts in a food processor and pulse until coarsely chopped. Add 1/2 cup of the oil and process until fully incorporated and smooth. Season with salt and pepper.

If using immediately, add all the remaining oil and pulse until smooth. Transfer the pesto to a large serving bowl and mix in the cheese. You can make this in batches and refrigerate or even freeze to keep for a bit. This actually tastes better with the herbs infusing the oil as it sits.

No comments:

Post a Comment