Monday, September 6, 2010

Oh, What To Do With All Those Tomatoes!


Yup, the tomatoes are on, and celebrating their goodness is always fun. From BLT's to sauces and salsas and pasta dishes and stuffed tomatoes and tomato salad.....well you get the idea So here are some of our favorites.

Our nephew requested his favorite dish which I've been making a least 25 years. I can't remember where I saw the original, but I've made it my own over the years anyway.

RED ONION WINE SAUCE OVER PASTA

As a healthy option, I use whole wheat spaghetti.

1lb spaghetti, cooked al dente

Sauce:

2-3 l sweet onions, sliced thin and sauteed golden in a little olive oil over medium heat. Deglaze with a cup of a dryer white wine, then add a splash of lemon juice, about 6 tomatoes pureed and a 2 or so diced tomatoes Simmer, adding garlic, parsley, basil and oregano. Serve over top of cooked pasta. Fabulous low fat healthy dish to die for with all fresh ingredients. Some garlic bred on the side finishes it of nicely.

SALSA:

I do not use cilantro in my salsa. Mine is made using my 11 C food processor and it makes a nice batch.

Ratio of tomatoes to peppers/onion is 2 :1. So I fill my processor about 2/3 with seeded tomatoes diced, and then add green, red and hot peppers and onion the rest of the way. Add fresh lemon, around 2, 1/2 to 3/4 C white vinegar, and 1-2 TBS cumin. Process to chunkiness desired. I then freeze mine in quart bags, but you could also cook it down a little and hot pack into jars for later as well. Freezing is just so much faster and I like the raw veggie taste to the salsa.

SIMPLE TOMATO SALAD:

This was always a farm favorite here. Take meaty tomatoes like romas, seed and quarter into wedges. Ratio of 2:1 tomatoes to onions. Add thinly sliced onions. I then make up a dressing of miracle whip and sour cream (nonfat or lowfat option), 1/2 C each, pepper, nonsalt seasoning, and 2 tbs white vinegar. Whisk well, pour over tomatoes/onions, and toss to coat. Always refreshing and same recipe can be used for fresh cucumber/onion salad too.

No comments:

Post a Comment